Monday, June 20, 2011

Nature Verses

This year I was proud to be part of a project called Nature Verses. It's both a photography and writing major show, but it doesn't necessarily have to have photography or writing in it. This is a project that takes place within a local national park. The criteria for our piece is only that it's 'environtmental awareness' related, and that our pieces to not hurt nature in any way. What I came up with was a piece that I called Time will Only Tell. It was supposed to be a "window looking into the possible future" to show what will happen if we don't stop cutting down our trees.. I wanted viewers to walk by and see my piece as if they are looking at a tree stump with crundge around, instead of a beautiful, full grown tree. I went out and took pictures of tree stumps, and then I printed a big image and wrapped it around a tree.

My original idea was to send the digital file to an artist that I talk about in an earlier post, JR, with my proposal for my project idea, and then hopefully he would send me a massive print of my image. I was then going to glue it to a tree using non-toxix, environmentally friendly glue, but that I realised that that wasn't a safe idea. Because I also wasn't able to get ahold of JR, I had to make due with what I had. Even though I was not able to go with my original idea, I am still happy with the end result.


No comments:

Post a Comment